Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Penang Bridge International Marathon 2010

It's my second PBIM in but half marathon this time. Many asked why I am not taking the full 42km...well, I've not done half on the bridge and I'm totally not prepared to do 42km. Haven't done much LSD since the 25km Newton run and SG North Face. In fact, I'm starting to get lazy to train for long distances. :P

Anyway, back to PBIM...

Sat, 20Nov, followed Pacesetters's chartered bus to Penang. Arrived Queensbay shopping mall around 2pm. Collected race kit, which was a breeze. Kudos to the organiser!
Met the usual KL runners, had a quick lunch, a quick walk in the mall before checking into Sri Malaysia hotel at about 4pm. Rested, slept, woke up 7pm+, decided it's time for dinner.

9pm...time to rest...again! But I couldn't fall asleep. Watched first half Arsenal vs Tottenham Hotspur. 2-0. Yeah! Good! But 2nd half was disappointing. The Spurs got 3 goals...Arsenal had no more bullets...sigh...
Asian games badminton men doubles...Malaysia lost! Aiyo...all bad to sleep???

True enough I still couldn't sleep. Tossed around...11pm...still awake...
But I finally managed to grab a couple hours of sleep although woke up with a heavy head and wished I could continue zzzz.

Had a quick prep and off we go to race site. The marathoners took the first bus shuttle and 1.45am was our turn. Bus dropped us opposite Eastin Hotel. Reached just in time to watch the marathoners passing by. Cheered, clapped before proceeding to start line. Runners everywhere, including those taking part in 10km run and they were lying almost everywhere to catch some sleep.

Weather was kinda warm and humid without any sea breeze. Lining up at start line, sweat was dripping non stop. Felt like standing sauna. Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng was kind enough to be there in the early hours to do the flagoffs. The first 2km was an obstacle course. Had to zig zag my way through in order to do a reasonably good pace. Tried to hold my pace in the first 10km as I wanted to try a negative split. It wasn't going to be a good race as I was panting upon reaching the first U turn. Heavy breathing. Two Pacemaker runners went past easily. 12km to go, I knew it's not a good run. Reaching the bridge's mid way, I even thought about stopping to rest and catch my breath. But I didn't, I slowed my pace. Going down the gentle slope helped a bit. That's when strong wind came. Refreshing! Before long, the skies opened. It didn't just rained. It poured! Felt as if running with the bathroom shower head just in front of you.

A raining run! Cats & dogs really cooled the hot humid air and it gave a boost to my heavy breathing. My panting stopped and it was so much easier to carry on. Thank God! Alleluia! Adding to that, thirst was quenched by free flowing water from above...hahaha!

Only 1 setback though...running shoes weighed a tonne! So all the way back, 10km, sploshed under the rain.

1:26...the time I saw on my watch at km18.3. With 2.8km left, I tried to maintain my pace to finish 1:45 or below...if I could.

The final km was a pia kao lat sprint. Really gave it all. Crossed finish line with the clock at 1:45:31

Not a good run. But then again I can't expect another PB with my lack of training. :P
It's just another run.

After this, it's going to be Angkor Wat Half Marathon. And that will be a jog-stop-photo snap run. Going to be a 2hr30min run. Hahaha!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...